The tactical situation ends peacefully at the Holiday Inn Express in Beaver Dam | daily citizen


A man who kept Beaver Dam police and Dodge County Sheriff’s officials at bay while being held in a Beaver Dam hotel room on Monday has surrendered peacefully after nearly five hours of negotiations.

According to a news release from Beaver Dam Deputy Police Chief Brandon Stommel, Beaver Dam police were dispatched to the Holiday Inn Express at 11:25 a.m. for a report of a handgun that had been located in a hotel room.

Staff had informed the guest that the man could no longer stay there and was collecting his belongings from the room when he found the handgun.

When officers arrived to retrieve the weapon, they came into contact with the man who grabbed the weapon and threatened the officer. The officer backed off, but the man made further threats when other officers arrived on the scene, Stommel said in the news release.

People also read…

Due to the threats, additional emergency management arrived on scene: Beaver Dam Police Department Emergency Response Team, Dodge County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team, paramedics from Beaver Dam and later the Fond du Lac Sheriff’s Office SWAT team.

Dodge County Health and Human Services helped provide a social worker who worked with a negotiator and was able to provide information about the suspect’s background which helped in the negotiations. Schmidt and Dodge County Health and Human Services Director Rebecca Bell spoke on Tuesday about continuing the relationship into the future.

Schmidt said the goal was to make sure everyone got home safely when the incident was over.

“We are doing our best to make sure people are safe,” Dodge County Sheriff Dale Schmidt said at the scene. “We are doing everything we can to end this peacefully as quickly as possible,” he said.

Beaver Dam Public Works closed the streets and the Holiday Inn was evacuated while other nearby businesses sheltered in place, Stommel said.

At the end of the afternoon around 4:37 p.m., the man agreed to surrender.

“The Beaver Dam Police Department would like to thank all of the agencies and officers involved for their teamwork in resolving this situation peacefully,” Stommel said. “We would also like to thank those who evacuated or sheltered in place for their cooperation.”

The matter is still under investigation, Stommel said Monday evening.

Follow Terri Pederson on Twitter @tlp53916 or contact her at 920-356-6760.

Source link


About Author

Comments are closed.